Monday, June 13, 2011

So I guess I'm a FlyBaby

I recently picked up a self-help-type organization book at a yard sale titled "Sink Reflections" by Marla Cilley (aka the FlyLady). It was published back in 2002 and apparently has a cult following in the online world, so I know I'm way behind in just now getting around to reading it. The writing style isn't great by any means, and there's a lot of "fluff" you have to read through to get to the actual important material, but I'd be lying if I said my house wasn't cleaner and more enjoyable because of this book. I've always been a perfectionist and that applies to doing household chores as well. I like things a certain way and I like to finish what I start or else it gives me a feeling of anxiousness. Well with working crazy hours at my full-time job and being busy with newly started side jobs I've discovered I don't have time to finish much of anything lately, especially when it comes to housework. So with that mindset of not wanting to start something until I could finish it fully, I ended up in a rut of not working on anything because I didn't have the time to complete a task to my liking. I found myself putting things off for a day when I'd have more time to focus my efforts on all the chores that needed to get done, but with a busy schedule like mine that day never came! I just ended up finding myself overwhelmed with how much stuff had accumulated on my to-do list and then I had no idea where to start. Cue the FlyLady. I learned from this book to let go of my urge to wait for the right timing so I could do everything perfectly and instead just work on doing something in whatever short amount of time I have, because even the tiniest bit of progress still gets me a step closer to having a beautiful, de-cluttered home. I'll now be carrying this way of thinking over to my remodeling and redecorating so that slowly but surely I'll have some more pictures to show off here of my completed projects. And that's good news for all of us!


For any of you who are struggling with balancing work and family time and housekeeping as well, I highly recommend checking out this book. Don't expect literary genius, but do expect some tips that can really help to get a good routine in place.



No comments:

Post a Comment